Friday, October 10, 2014

Bad first impression

My first impressions of our new home were not awesome.  I had been gushing over how awesome the apartment was from the Google maps images and from the pictures Hubby had taken when he made the trip out to sign the lease.  But seeing snapshots of things is not the same as seeing it in real life.  Some of the things were totally awesome, like the view from our apartment, which I appreciate every single day, and how lovely the neighborhood was.  The things that I thought were not so awesome can be pretty much summed up into two things: cat smell and tiny dark cave of a bathroom.  Doesn't sound like much, but was enough to have me in near tears.  I should also mention that I didn't sleep at all on the plane and was now on about 24 hours without sleep, so that may have skewed my attitude just a tad.

So I walk in the door and the first thing that hits me is this awful smell emanating from the "cat bathroom," the guest bathroom (the first thing you run into coming into the apartment) that has been taken over by the two cats in an attempt to keep Molly Dog out of the temporary litter box and cat food.  We have a deluxe litter box coming with our household goods that keeps Molly Dog out and the smell in, at least a bit, but we had to buy a cheap one to get us by for the 6-8 weeks it takes our things to get here by boat.  So to keep Molly Dog from eating all the kitty cookies, we have had to tie the door partially closed so cats can get in but Molly Dog can't.  This also makes it more inconvenient, although only slightly, for us to get in there, which makes us even less likely to scoop the box at regular intervals.  Plus the litter here sucks and no central air means no ventilation in the bathroom.

Anyways, so I make it past the cat box of doom and Hubby starts me on a tour.  First of all, the hallway is a bit small and no windows in there, so a little darker than I am used to, and already not making me feel welcome.  He shows me the cat bathroom, which is gross from the cats kicking litter about and getting hair everywhere.  Then he shows me the master bedroom.  Again, I had seen pictures, but you don't get a great feel from the pictures.  It's okay, but it's a good thing we didn't plan to bring our dressers, because I don't think we would even be able to fully open the drawers before they would hit the bed.  But its okay, the floor to ceiling window lets in lots of light and makes it cheery (I'm big on light).  Then he shows me the dreaded bathroom.  

Many times you have to take multiple pictures of a room because you can't fit it all into one shot.  What I didn't understand was that this room was taken in two pictures because half the room was hiding behind the door! I thought it was one long room, but no.  Think of an airplane lavatory and you have a better feel for what I was experiencing.  The room is basically only big enough to open the door and provide a few extra inches between the door and the toilet.  Directly in front of you is the toilet, to the right is the tub/shower (which is nice, actually), and to the left is the door that you just opened.  You have to walk all the way in, shut the door behind you, turn to your left, then you can see the pedestal sink and medicine cabinet.  Also very annoying is that you can't keep a rug on the floor because the space between the door and floor is so small.  So I was already shocked by the size of the thing, but then I started freaking out about how dark it was in there (tiny dark cave mentioned earlier).  The room is only lit by two small spotlight type overhead lights, and one small light over the medicine cabinet, and 2 of the 3 were burned out.   Hubby said there were some extra lights in the storage closet (all the storage for the entire place, the size of most American house's pantries), so I make him go get one and go to work trying to fix it, but it isn't a screw in light like we are used to, so about 15 minutes, a broken bulb, and lots of curse words later, we finally have 2 lights going, but it took me another week to find a replacement for the third bulb.  I started to feel better already, but then could clearly see what a man living alone with no cleaning supplies for 2 weeks can do to a bathroom, and I started to feel sad all over again.

I know I sound like a big whiner, this is a lot more than a lot of people have, and I've stayed in much worse, but only temporarily.  This was to be my new home, and this was the third move in a row where I had to get rid of at least half of my stuff and move into a much smaller place, and it takes adjusting every time.  I’m not trying to say I’m bad off by any means, just adjusting.


It did get better from there, I swear, and spending some time cleaning and putting things away (a little at least) made me feel a lot better.  But really it just took some time settling in.  I am now 2.5 weeks in and feel much better about everything, although I am worried about where all our stuff is going to go when the boat finally arrives….

No comments:

Post a Comment